Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Soul Longs for Jesus

Yesterday I was hanging out with a classmate and a friend of his. My classmate and I were working on an assignment for class while his friend was sketching him for art class. I happened to mention that I was 21 and like most people they asked me if I got "wasted" on my birthday. I said that I hadn't drunk any alcohol since I turned 21. They laughed at that. I explained that I had tasted alcohol before, but that I hadn't drunk anything since. They said that I should get drunk. I said that I choose not to get drunk and of course they laughed at me. My classmate's friend said that I should experience being drunk. Life is too short. I should experience as much as possible. This, of course, didn't convince me the least bit.

This made me think of the hopeless situation that non-christians are in. They have no hope so they their goal in life is to "live life to the fullest" and "experience everything." I think it is the saddest thing.

Why do I have no desire to get drunk? Because I have something much better. I have a relationship with Jesus. I don't need to get drunk to escape from life, because life is not that bad when you know Jesus. I don't need to get drunk to have a good time, because I have a good time when I'm with Jesus. My soul longs for Jesus. Nothing else will do. Nothing else can satisfy me or make me happy. All I want is Jesus.

No comments: