Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Lent

I was talking to one of my friends about giving stuff up for lent. It got me thinking about things that I could give up, but I have never observed lent. I think that I am drawn more to the principle of giving something up for God and spending time praying than to lent itself. So I was thinking about what I want to give up for a while. I thought about food first. I thought maybe sugar but then decided that I wanted to be able to eat dessert on my Mother's birthday on the 22nd. I then thought that I should give up watching TV and movies for a couple weeks or so. Now that will be a hard thing to do. There are two shows that I like watching every week and I have been watching at least two movies every week. But that might be the best thing for me to give up. It will give me time that I can spend studying. It also will give me time that I can spend praying and reading my Bible. Perhaps I should do this for a month. But why do I feel so reluctant? Has the TV taken over my life? Has it become an idol to me? Now I feel like I have to give TV up. I have to get it out of my life. At least for a while.

No comments: