Sunday, April 15, 2007

Studying Through Romans Part 2

1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.

It is amazing how this verse says so much. Paul is thanking God through Jesus Christ. This reminds us that Jesus is the mediator between us and God.

John 14:6 "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

The Romans faith was being reported throughout the world. That is amazing. Paul does not talk about their ministry or good deeds. He says that their faith is being reported. Should we not all want to be known for our faith in God?

1:9-13 God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of His Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you. I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong- that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.

It is wonderful to know that someone is praying for you every day. My grandparents have been praying for me every day of my life. When I am going through hard times it comforts me to know that someone is praying for me. Paul is reminding them of his love. Even though he has not been able to journey to them he is constantly praying for them. Paul wants to fellowship and produce fruit among them also.

1:14-17 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome. I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

Paul is so eager to preach because he feels like it is his duty. He is not ashamed of it because the gospel reveals God's righteousness.

No comments: