Saturday, April 14, 2007

Studying Through Romans Part 1

I started to study the book of Romans with one of my best friends. Now it looks like we are not able to continue studying together. I think that Romans is such a good book that I don't want to stop studying it. I am going to write about what stands out to me and make my own comments.

1:1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God-


The two words that stand out to me are "set apart". I think about how we are to live our lives set apart from the rest of the world. God calls us to be holy.

1 Peter 1:14-15 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

As christians we should be living our lives differently than non-christians. We have Christ in our lives. Shouldn't we strive to become more like Him?

1:2-6 the gospel He promised beforehand through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding His Son, who as to His human nature was a descendant of David, and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by His resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. Through Him and for His name's sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith. And you also are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

This gospel was promised in the Old Testament. There are hundreds of prophesies foretelling the first coming of Christ. Some of the most famous ones can be found in Isaiah. It is only through Jesus that we receive grace. There is no other way. The reason we receive grace and apostleship is for Christ's name sake. We receive not that we might become great, but that God may be glorified.

Verse seven tells us that the book of Romans was written to the believers in Rome. It is important to know who Paul is writing to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, isn't this nice. I can comment on your blog without you knowing who I am. Well ok. I'm too lazy to set up an identity with google...

Sounds like you are having a good time with life, those pictures from nationals are kinda neat.