Sunday, March 8, 2009

Jesus Did Way More Than Just Dying

I was thinking of the crucifixion of my Lord this morning. We all know that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. But I want us all to ponder what He really did.

1. He died physically. This was a very painful experience. He got whipped until there was no skin on His back and a crown of long thorns was stuck onto His head. He then had a nail driven through His feet and each hand. Then if that was not bad enough, He was lifted up to hang by those nails. That is more pain than most people have experienced. But during Jesus' time many people died this way. What makes Jesus' death different than others?

2. He took the sins of the world upon Himself. He didn't just die for our sins. He became sin for us. Hanging on that cross Jesus was a murderer, liar, rapist, cheater, thief, and every sin that we could possibly think of.

3. God turned His back on Him. Never has there been a human on earth that God has turned away from. Christ called out in anguish. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" This was the worst thing you can imagine. It was hell.

Jesus didn't just die on the cross, He did way more. Next time you think of the cross think about what Jesus did for you and for me.

I'm going to post scripture references up here to support my points.

No comments: