Monday, September 8, 2008

Do You Know God?

Most of us would say, "Yes, I know God." But do you know God?

I thought I knew God more than most people. I can quote scripture. I am familiar with most of the Bible. I know who God is and who His Son is. I can tell most of the Bible stories and even argue theology. I have a relationship with God. But do I know God? Of course! Yes!

But last Friday I realized that I did not know God well. My pastor encouraged us to know God. To know God in each and every aspect of our lives. To know God intimately. Do I know God? Not that well.

Last week God showed me how much He loved me. This week He is saying that He wants me to know Him more. I want to know God. I want to be with Him every moment of the day. The more we are together the more I will know Him. It is like going to the beach with a friend. You might never have known how much that friend loved the beach if you hadn't gone with him. I think it is the same with God. If I don't spend time with God in every part of my life then I will never know God in the context of school, shopping, hanging with non-christian friends, watching TV...the list goes on. It is a scary thought to think of bringing Jesus everywhere with me. But I want to know Him more. I want to know God.

Do you know God?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

It's exciting how God is working in your life!

My Oma would often ask, "Do you love Jesus? Do you really love Jesus?" It is through striving to increase our love for Him and, as you said, spending time with Him in every area of our lives, that we truly get to know Him --- not just intimately, but passionately.

May we all grow to love Him and know Him more.