Monday, May 10, 2010

Zeke

I don't care for dogs that much. I don't like it when dogs jump on me and leave dirt, mud, and hair all over me. I don't like it when dogs jump on me and scratch me or slobber all over me. Above all I don't like it when dogs lick me in the face. But there was one dog that didn't do all these things. He was a great dog and I thought that he redeemed all other dogs by his good behavior. His one fault was that he would run off. Sometimes it was for a short time and other times it was for hours. This fault led to disaster. This past weekend Zeke ran off and when he came back we could tell that something was wrong. He threw up that night and several times the next morning. We took him to the vet and they wanted to pump him full of IV fluids and give him an antibiotic and pain killer. He had a fever and was in pain. We thought he may have eaten some poison but we will never know. The vet kept him overnight and Zeke died Sunday morning. He was a great dog and I will always remember him. He celebrated two Christmas's with us and was a part of the family. Every evening he was allowed to come into the house and hang out with us while we watched TV and spent time together as a family. He earned a special place in the family and will be sorely missed.

No comments: